Building Services Systems CC, registered in South Africa under registration number 1993/024611/23 and having its registered address at Unit C, Atlantic House, 1 Perth Street, Maitland, Cape Town, 7405 (“BSS”, “we”, “our”).
We are committed to complying with applicable data protection laws and set out below details regarding our approach to data protection in all our operations.
Information we collect from customers
We collect names, telephone number, address, bank details, VAT and company registration number from customers so that we can provide you with our services. We do this on the basis of the intention of contracting with you or for the performance of a contract we have with you.
Information we collect from third parties
We collect names, contact details, financial and tax information from suppliers and professional service providers so that we can place orders/instruct you and make payment in respect of any goods or services we receive. We do this on the basis of the intention of contracting with you or for the performance of a contract we have with you.
Information we collect when you visit our website
We collect your name and email address and any other information you provide in your message on our website contact form in order for us to respond to your queries
Information we collect from you when you apply for a job
We process the information you provide in your curriculum vitae, in our application form and supporting documentation/information during the recruitment process purely for the purposes of assessing your suitability for the role, for contacting you to progress your application and to take up any references you have provided. The basis for the processing of this information is a potential employment contract may be concluded, depending on the outcome of our assessment and we have a legitimate interest in finding candidates for roles that we have. In the event that you are successful, this data will form part of your employee file.
Processing, protecting and transferring personal information
Personal information held by us is processed by appropriate members of staff for the purposes for which the information was provided. We may share your personal information within our organisation and with third parties such as professional advisors (accountants and lawyers), IT Providers, HR providers and government bodies/regulators.
We share your information for the purposes of:
- Performing our contract with you;
- Complying with a legal obligation; or
- Our legitimate interest in the effective running of our organization.
All our third party service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We may disclose your personal information to a prospective buyer or seller in the event that we intend selling or buying any businesses or assets and thereafter may share your information with the group companies that purchased BSS.
Retention of your Data
We will not retain your personal information longer than the period for which it is needed and in compliance with applicable law. We determine retention periods in respect of information we hold based on:
- Legal obligations relating to minimum periods to retain data;
- The purposes for which we process the personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means;
- Whether the information is required for reporting and analysis purposes relating to our operations;
- The amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information;
- The potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of the personal information.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. These measures include, but are not limited to, policies and procedures to protect your information and IT security.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
Your rights in relation to your information
Subject to certain limitations on certain rights, you have the following rights in relation to your information:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Withdraw consent to our use of your information at any time where we rely on your consent to use or process that information. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use and processing of your information on the basis of your consent before the point in time when you withdraw your consent.
Should you have any queries regarding this privacy notice or would like to enforce any rights you may have under applicable data protection laws, please contact us at:
Information Officer: Michael William BURCHELL
Address: Unit C, Atlantic House, 1 Perth Street, Maitland, Cape Town, 7405
Tel: (021) 511 7252
We will endeavour to respond to any such requests as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any event within statutory time-limits in the applicable country. In some instances, we may be able to charge a fee for responding to your request and will advise you of this and any applicable amount prior to responding.
You should be aware that certain information is exempt from the right of access. This may include information which identifies other individuals, or information which is subject to legal privilege.
You should also be aware that in some instances, if you do not provide information or you exercise any rights regarding the deletion or restriction of your information or object to the processing of your information or withdraw consent, we may not be able to perform the contract we have with you or comply with applicable laws.
Where you request access to your information, we are required by law to use all reasonable measures to verify your identity before doing so. These measures are designed to protect your information and to reduce the risk of identity fraud, identity theft or general unauthorised access to your information.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority, details of which are set out below:
JD House, 27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
P.O Box 31533, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za
General enquiries email: email@example.com.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making, unless we have a lawful basis for doing so and we have notified you.
We do not envisage that any decisions will be taken about you using automated means, however we will notify you in writing if this position changes.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Any changes made to this privacy notice in the future will be posted on the website and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this notice.
29 June 2021 – Version 1